Monday, July 22, 2013

Take me out to the ballgame...again

From childhood, I have loved the Atlanta Braves.  I had checked the Cubs schedule to see if by any chance they would be in town while I was in the area.  But, alas, they were not on the Cubs schedule.  I happened to be watching the last White Sox game on TV before the All Star break, and the announcer mentioned that their first game after the break would be against the visiting Braves.  It had not even occurred to me to check their schedule for the possibility of inner league play, but what a happy discovery!

Going to a game in Chicago is an almost all-day affair by the time you get yourself to the ball park and back from the western suburbs.  But we felt it was well worth it and it was great that Charles' work schedule allowed for the time to do it.

Pepsi - yuk!  Offends my Atlanta Coca-Cola  roots!
The view from our seats, sort of.  When we arrived around 2:00 p.m. our seats were in the blazing sun, so we watched batting practice from there, and then moved up about 6 rows into the shaded seats.  No one ever came to claim our "new" seats, so we stayed there the rest of the game. 
It was Star Wars day at the ball park.  Which seemed to consist of a costume parade before the game, Yoda graphics inserted on the scoreboard when White Sox players' photos were shown, and a little Star Wars flavor to some of the music that was played.
Oh, yeah.  And Darth Vadar threw out the ceremonial first pitch.
There are gorgeous views of the Chicago skyline from the ramp into the ballpark.  And my hair attests to the validity of the Windy City label.
Just had to include a skyline shot that shows the Sears Tower.    This is the way I most enjoy the big city - admiring it from a distance!  I only had my little camera with me, so I couldn't get a panorama of the whole vast skyline.
Sadly, the Sox won 10-6.  There were quite a few Braves fans in attendance so we enjoyed cheering with them at the limited opportunities.  We tried to be equitable and also cheer for the good plays of the Sox so as not to incur the wrath of any die hard fans.
I have always enjoyed looking at the mess left behind after a ball game.  Art is everywhere.
Charles at the pedestrian bridge from the CTA station to the ball park.  I took the same shot a few years ago when we went to a game, and want to compare the two.
This is exactly how the intense traffic makes me fill - caged in!  This wasn't rush hour - it was about 6:30 on Saturday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment