Sunday, June 16, 2013

Georgia on my mind


As a long-time/forever fan of the Atlanta Braves, I was thrilled when a pal from back in my high school days decided we should get a group up for a game since I was close enough to make it to Atlanta.  On June 2, I drove from Asheville to ATL and met up with my friends and sister at Ted Turner Stadium on Hank Aaron Drive for a 1:15 game.  It was a great game; the Braves beat the Nationals, and Wayne did a fabulous job of choosing seats to protect us from weather. We had both bright sun and a bit of a downpour.  Before the game I met up with Miriam, Billy, Jane, and Cameron to eat at the Chop House Restaurant, which was way over-priced but still cool. The whole thing went too fast; I could've stayed in that "moment" for a lot longer!

After the game, I drove out to the southside where some more friends, Patti & Al, met some of us for supper.  Patti & Al were gracious enough to let me sleep overnight in their lovely home out by the woods near where we used to go to church camp.  A lot of the area is developed now, but they have a great house backed up to woods they own, and I slept like a rock there. Patti told me they even have owls, one of which has perched on their driveway basketball goal.  So I HAVE to go back to look for owls! 

I love "The Ted", but I grew up going to the old Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium.  There is so much besides the game to do at the "new" ballpark, but for me, it's still all about the three hour vacation that is the game.



View toward the big screen from our seats.  And those are storm clouds in the sky.



At the game with my sister and a few high school buddies - L to R: Miriam (sister), Jane, June, Cameron (Jane's daughter), me, Belinda, Wayne (who arranged the tickets and is married to Belinda), and Anna.



The supper crew: back, left to right: Billy (beau of Miriam), Jane, Miriam, Al. front left to right: Anna, Cameron, Patti.  I go WAY back with some of these friends!  All the way to elementary school in the case of Patti and Jane.  And there were quite a few double date situations with Patti and Al, who were sweethearts in high school. It was great to be with people who know where you came from!

On Monday morning, I got up and drove down to Waycross to visit my mother in the nursing home.  That drive through middle Georgia was interesting.  I noticed how many gospel broadcasts were on the radio in contrast to how many billboards along I-75 were advertising strip clubs! Not much to do but listen to radio preachers/singers and read the billboards. I hadn't driven that route in years, since I've mostly flown to JAX when I go visit my mom.

My brother, Ken, met me at the nursing home and it was great to see him, too. We spent the afternoon with Mom and got to go with her to the monthly resident birthday party, which was an almost indescribable experience.  The residents were being led in a trivia game by a staffer who mis-pronounced many of the words in the questions. It was kind of like not being able to laugh when you get tickled in church. 

Tuesday I left the ever-so-always-so hot and humid town of Waycross around noon and drove straight through back to Black Mountain.  One of those severe storm lines was moving across I-26 as I drove through South Carolina, and at one point the interstate was closed for trees down across the lanes.  The trip took about 9 hours, but I made it to Black Mountain just as it was getting dark.

An adventure in contrasts crammed into three short days!

No comments:

Post a Comment