Monday, April 4, 2011

Is this how you do nothing?

I've been practicing doing nothing as much as possible, but I'm not skilled yet! See captions below each photo.

Saturday morning, 4/2, I woke up to a dusting of snow that surprised me. It melted as soon as the sun came up, but was delightful for a little while.  This view is looking off the south end of the front porch just where the gravel road ends and turns to a dirt road. 

This is the "long view" looking off the north end of the front porch.  I realize that I'm going to get to see spring arrive here, and this view will be more obstructed once that happens.  In my quiet mind, I'm drawing all sorts of metaphors there!

It only took one day to find my favorite spot for breakfast!  This is the bay window in the dining area - the first place the sun hits when it rises over the mountain in front of the house.  This little "junior size" rocking chair is just right for me! 

Saturday night, 4/2, I built a fire in the wood stove - my first time ever!  It was wonderful as long as I sat pretty close to it.  Are these things supposed to heat the whole house? Fortunately, there is also central heat here.  The house is so immaculately clean that even the inside of this stove was spotless - before my fire, anyway.

Sunday, 4/3 - Aside from being Charles' 24th birthday, it was the day I needed to brave the curvy roads again and go get more groceries.   It took 1.5 hours each way to get to Earth Fare (much like Whole Foods) on the north side of Asheville!  I tried the "other" route to the city which takes longer but has a less dangerous road.  I passed through Hot Springs - a major stop off for Appalachian Trial through-hikers.  Interesting people hanging out there, but I didn't stop this time.  It's the closest post office (takes about 30 minutes to get there) and supposedly has a small grocery store.  Otherwise, it's going to be about an hour to the closest real grocery store!  I tried to stock up for at least two weeks worth on this trip. And then I enjoyed taking artsy photos of the produce I bought!

Monday, 4/4 - Finally a little color with the sunrise!  It takes the sun about an hour past official sunrise time to peek over the mountain.  Maybe I just wasn't up early enough before today.  This is the first day it's been warm enough to sit out on the front porch, and I'm considering it an honor to be the person opening up the windows for the first time this spring to help the house shake the winter doldrums. 

I love the way the bare trees look - always have!  This is the mountain/hill right in front of the house, and I am amused by how the distant trees look like fringe.  This place is so far off the beaten path, I startle a little if I hear anything other than the brook out front or the refrigerator running!

So happy to see the colors!  The view right now is otherwise pretty much shades of gray bark, green moss, and brown decaying leaves.  Not that those aren't beautiful in their own right, but the variety sure was nice this morning. 

1 comment: