Friday, April 15, 2011

NC Arboretum

On Thursday, 4/14, I spent a lovely, sunny afternoon at the Arboretum.  My Norfolk Botanical Garden membership got me in "free"!  The gardens weren't in full bloom yet by any means, but there were plenty of beautiful things to see.  I think I took 75 pictures(!), but because the internet access I have is very slow, I'm drastically limiting the number I upload - that could be a good thing.  The Quilt Garden (above) is maintained all through the blooming season, in honor of the NC traditions of quilting.  There was an overlook for viewing, and I'm sure it is breathtaking once the flowers are all filled in.

The Bonsai exhibit is one of the things they are most known for.  The displays are just being brought out of their winter indoor home back into the outdoors, so not all were available for viewing.  They are displayed on shelves that are about the size of a park bench, for reference.  This was one of my favorites; I believe the title was "Rest Awhile" - kind of appropriate!  On another one, there were miniature azaleas in bloom, and I had the rare treat to see a hummingbird moth feeding there!  Extraordinary creature!

Throughout the Arboretum there is a permanent outdoor art collection, primarily metals.  This is one of the stream garden gates by David Brewin and Joseph Miller, both NC artists.  One of my favorite sculptures was "Oh Great Spirit", a large Cherokee Indian lifting his hands in prayer by Neil Bannister Scruggs.  There is an "Art Walk" brochure to guide visitors to see all the amazing art throughout the garden.

Beside the porch on the education center, I just happened to see this gorgeous maple with the sun shining through it - breathtaking!

One of my primary reasons for visiting the Arboretum was to be able to walk safely in the woods.  They have about 8 miles of trails through natural forest areas, and many of them go beside a beautiful stream.  Some also connect to Pisgah National Forest trails. This is Bent Creek Road,  which was lovely, quiet, and easy.

And although it was definitely not a wilderness experience, the beauty, quiet, and surrounding nature allowed for contemplative walking and thinning my thoughts.  (Wesley Branch Trail)

I'd like to close by sharing one more photo - a little wild iris growing along the trail - coupled with a poem by Mary Oliver, with thanks to Emma for introducing me to her!



"Praying"

It doesn't have to be
the blue iris, it could be
weeds in a vacant lot, or a few
small stones; just
pay attention, then patch

a few words together and don't try
to make them elaborate, this isn't
a contest but the doorway

into thanks, and a silence in which
another voice may speak.


 

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of "thinning my thoughts"--this looks like a great place to do just that.

    ReplyDelete