Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Life in a little mountain town

It's been a crazy, awesome weather day of big thunderstorms rolling over the mountains.  You can hear them coming from about an hour away.  In between downpours, the sun pops out in very bright contrast. I love mountain weather!  It's fun trying to time errands between the storms, and hearing the heavy rain on the roof AFTER making it in to the grocery store.

On my errands today, I noticed several things I'm enjoying about small town mountain life. 
--The kindness of the real estate office in letting me use their printer for personal business. "I'm not real up on that kind of thing, but if you bring in your flash drive maybe we can figure it out." We did.
--The "code red" that was called in to the realty office while I was there.  (Really, they called it a "code red".) Chamber of Commerce was notifying everyone of a "huge sinkhole" at one of the two main intersections in town where the road would be closed indefinitely.  Much laughter ensued.  I drove by the huge sinkhole later; it WAS a big hole in the road, but it looked more like the type of thing I'm used to seeing in Norfolk when an old water main under the street breaks.  Kids had ridden up on bicycles to look down in it as the workmen leaned on their shovels.
--The middle school aged boy standing outside the post office when I went to drop off mail who was selling the weekly local paper for 50 cents.  He was beyond polite in asking if I wanted to buy one and in thanking me for my purchase.  Might have been a Boy Scout; a fine young man.
--The cashier at the Bi-Lo who gave me one of their shopper reward cards and told me just to come back later and fill out the form for Luella at customer service.
-- The maintenance man who came back to fix the bathroom light after driving to Asheville for "parts" last week.  His chattiness factor was way over my line, but he sure was happy in his work.
--A local produce stand with a handmade sign reading "Berry's" - referring to strawberries.

No relevant photos to share, but maybe the words paint a picture of life as I saw it today in this little mountain town.

1 comment: