Friday, May 24, 2013

Puttering on the Parkway

On Thursday, a gloriously beautiful day, I decided to explore the Blue Ridge Parkway south of Asheville and see what interesting things I might find.  Usually when I go motoring, I head north on the BRP, so this felt like a "new" adventure heading south.  I didn't stop off at any of the adjacent towns because I was more in a mood for nature experiences. 

It's the right time of year for wildflowers to be blooming in the mountains, and I'm always looking up for birds, so it was a great day of enjoying creation.  I took a "bajillion" pictures, but have selected a few of my favorites and grouped them by category, not necessarily by location.  However, all were taken somewhere between mileposts 380 and 410 on or near the Parkway. The physical high point was at my turn around spot, Mount Pisgah,  at 5000 feet of elevation.

WILDFLOWERS (few of which I can name!)




I know this one! A rhododendron about to burst.

A rhododendron that has burst! Locals call them "rhodos".



Rhodo again.

These were the most incredible shade of yellow and covered a large bank by a path.

Solomon's Plume, I think. 

Something I've never seen before.  I need to find a wildflower guide to be able to name it.


BUTTERFLIES (these were at the 5000 feet point)




LANDSCAPES - as the elevation and weather changed



My favorite - taken from Mt. Pisgah.


THE ONLY BIRD WHO WAS STILL LONG ENOUGH FOR A DECENT PHOTO: TOWHEE

He was singing his heart out!  I also saw several other birds, including an indigo bunting, but couldn't get good photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment